Stashing gorgeous fabric. Hoarding irresistible patterns. Designing when I can. Sewing up a Storm.
PeridotLane . . . Handmade Bags and Gifts.

Friday, October 8, 2010

{kickin' with kokopelli}

My friend, K, in Nevada sent me a message a LONG time ago (sorry, girl!) asking me if I could make her a bag with Kokopellis because she has really been into them lately. I immediately said, "Yes!" and then thought, "What is a Kokopelli? Maybe I can't." Hmmmm, so like we do in this time and age I googled "Kokopelli" and learned something new.

"Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and feathers and antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music." ~Wikipedia

This little guy wasn't really new to me, but I just didn't realize he was called a Kokopelli. So, if you were wondering . . . now you know!! :) After some craziness finding and ordering the fabric this bag was so fun to make. I love making a bag out of a style of fabric that I have never used before. This is my first Southwestern bag and I thought pretty fitting that I shipped it to the Nevada desert yesterday. Not quite Southwestern, but if a Southwestern bag is going to live anywhere other than the Southwest it should be Nevada. So take a peek at my friend, Kokopelli, and lets hope those fertility vibes didn't stay in my house! ;)



1 comment:

Kathi said...

I love my bag Trina. It is fabulous. Thank you, Thank you. I will make sure I take extra special care of this one :-). I want it around for years. I will spread the word & who knows maybe you will get a few more orders.
You are a true friend.

Kathi, from Nevada :-)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."